Sunday, January 17, 2010

Allison Smith's Fancy Work










So this is the giant 25'x25' quilt I and a great group of people helped to make with Allison Smith and it's up in the SFMoMA, for this weekend only I believe, to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the museum. I should have taken a picture of the entire room so you could understand the scale and the way everything is situated but...the lanterns on the floor are about to the top of my knees maybe higher and the candle was about my height or maybe 6 ft tall so that makes the mirror maybe the size of the quilt from the center out to the brownish purple pinkish area after the white...maybe? I don't know but everything has been enlarged from what they would normally be manufactured as, if that makes any sense. And the mirror is opposite the quilt so you can see it reflected all psychedelic like and the lanterns were scattered around. There were also a couple of tables and chairs/benches for the lectures and the musicians that would come around later in the evening which I didn't go to unfortunately. So that amazingly gross chartreuse green color? Yeah helped print that [among just one or two others but that one is my favorite] and I could tell you all the colors of diamonds I helped to cut but uh that would be boring. Anyway I had a really great time working with everyone and I am so amazed at the way it turned out [they finished the sewing while I was on winter break so I didn't really know just how big it would be...or how amazing]. Not a big fan of quilts but I'm a fan of history and collaboration so I say success!

1 comment:

  1. wow - bigger than I thought. The colors turned out pretty good. Did you work on the lantern/lamp at all?

    ReplyDelete