Monday, January 10, 2011

Franken Fabrics Final

This was my final for my fabric material class where we destroyed fabric to create new forms/fabrics. We had to create three fabrics that could be difficult enough for fashion designers. My favorite technique is using a heat gun to melt polyester fabric so that is what I based my "collection" around.
The first fabric was a really thin satiny polyester that I had found and when heat gunned at a high tempeture blistered creating this really gorgeously disgusting burnt skin texture. It also smelled really good while it was burning which was weird for polyester. I would prefer it to be lit somehow because it becomes much more beautiful with the light coming through the melted 'veins'. This one will be shown in our class' group show the first week of this semester in the new galleries.
first fabric draped on a dress form:
detail:
The second fabric [also going into the show] is the most complicated to describe as I found out during critique... I started doing this string paper idea in my bookmaking class sophomore year and I've carried it through to other projects [see Indi Posters and Assume Position book] basically I spool out thread on wax paper and mix in PVA glue swirl it together then pick it up and spread it out on another sheet of wax paper layering it and flattening it until I get a large sheet of crispy string paper. I then applied more PVA glue in small dots throughout the sheet and ironed gold leafing to it [you then rub off the leaving so it just leaves traces on the threads]. Next I took some cheap sheer polyester and created a swirl pattern with a heat gun [all polyester doesn't react the same to a heat gun and this one either ruched itself or completely disintegrated depending on the heat and movement of it] then cut it in half to sandwich the thread paper within it. I then used bonding powder to seal the sheets together. It isn't supposed to be shown with a dark fabric behind it but it helps for people to see the detailing in pictures, etc.
second fabric:
the third fabric didn't turn out like I had wanted it to. I was picturing it as a decal for like the back of a jack not necessarily a fabric for a dress so I don't think I succeeded in the actual project of three yardages of fabric. What I did was melt this incredibly hideous brown/gold fabric then cut out individual shapes around the holes the heat gun created and place them on the fabric in this swooping skeletal shape. I then used a wood burning tool to melt/glue the brown fabric to the green fabric. Could've been cool...
third fabric [such a horrible image]:

No comments:

Post a Comment